[Mapserver-users] Really zippy responses with pre-generated map tiles

Matthew Haines mhaines94108 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:47:48 EST 2003

Thanks once again for all the help from the wizards on this forum!

Last night I launched a new mapping section of my website (Manhattan, NY tax
lot maps).  I've taken a much different approach than most examples I've
seen on this site.  Instead of allowing users to zoom in and out to any
level, I've hard-wired the maps at three levels, far scale, mid scale, and
close scale.  I also don't let the users turn layers on and off in all sorts
of combinations.  These restrictions allowed me to pre-generate the maps as
.png tiles.  Where they used to take 10-15 seconds to render, now the time
is less than 1 second.

You can see them here:

http://www.nycpropertyresearch.com/cgi-bin/query5Ktile.cgi

Matthew Haines