[Fwd: Re: [Mapserver-users] erro : TIFFMergeFieldInfo]

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 9 16:46:29 EST 2004

> I have the same error, but in the compilation of libgeotiff, when I try
> ./bin/makegeo ( how recommended to test the compilation ), I got the
> error, and I'm using the recommended version by libgeotiff of the
> libtiff library ! ! !
>
> Can be a bug? Or I miss any parameter?
>
> This is my configures:
>
> [root at valhala tiff-v3.6.1]# ./configure
>
> [root at valhala libgeotiff-1.2.1]# ./configure
> --with-libtiff=/usr/local/lib/ --with-jpeg=/usr/local/lib/
>
> The Error:
>
> [root at valhala libgeotiff-1.2.1]# ./bin/makegeo
> ./bin/makegeo: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined
> symbol: TIFFMergeFieldInfo
>
> Any idea of what is happen?
>
> []'s
>
> by qoelheX

Hi,

The problem is that, while you have "built" against the new libtiff in
/usr/local, at runtime the old search rules are used to find a libtiff.so
and it is picking up /usr/lib/libtiff.so.  You need to adjust this using
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or by adjusting ld.conf.

eg.

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib

This is a very common issue with all sorts of libraries.  I don't know a
good description to point you at though.

Best regards,