USGS Urban coverage shapefile

Thomas Chesky thomaschesky at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 1 20:18:12 EST 2005

Hello,

Does anybody know how to get the boundary of USGS Urban ortho coverage in shapefile (or WKT etc.) format. I could only found the coverage index in raster format on the USGS site (seamless.usgs.gov) I'd like to be able to tell having a lat/lon coordinates whether it falls into one of the Urban coverage areas. The USGS WMS server provides boudary rectangle only (in GetCapabilities), which obviously will not solve my problem as the coverages are not rectangles.

There must be something like this otherwise how could USGS create the raster coverage index.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

ps I emailed USGS as well but not yet received any reply