support for MySQL spatial geometry?

William K woklist at CHARTER.NET
Wed Feb 9 13:50:59 EST 2005

I think it would be a good idea to pursue this.  I've been patiently
waiting for someone to start working on this for MapServer (and GRASS).
  I can think of a few reasons:

- MySQL is easier to install cross-platform.  There are official
binaries available for many platforms, not just the few available for
PostGreSQL.

- and the spatial features of MySQL are built-in.  PostGIS is a
separate extension to PostGre.  The official (and 3rd-party) PostGre
binaries won't even work since you need to build PostGIS on a PostGre
source base.

- I've found that cross-platform DB clients and user management are
more developed for MySQL (ie phpMyAdmin vs phpPgAdmin, tho it looks
like phpPgAdmin is finally getting there).

I'm not saying PostGre/PostGIS is bad, just that MySQL/spatial is not
'just another spatial database'.  Generally, it's a little more
accessible to users & admins.  Doesn't have some advanced features,
like GEOS and PROJ support, but it will do for many.

my 2¢

On Feb 8, 2005, at 11:50 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:04:01 -0800, Gregor Mosheh
> <stigmata_blackangel at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Is there any idea yet as to when/if MapServer or some
>> underlying library will support MySQL's new spatial
>> geometry capabilities?
>
> Gregor,
>
> I am not aware of anyone working on MySQL Spatial support
> for mapserver itself, and I don't have any plans to add it to
> OGR.  I would be happy to do so if a client was interested, but
> I am hesitant to do it just for the sake of having another
> spatial database.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy