PostGIS vs. Shapefile

Daniele Margotti margottid at COMUNE.LUGO.RA.IT
Thu Feb 10 07:07:11 EST 2005

Hmm...

I'm new to PostGIS, I imported data from shapefile to POstGIS with these
commands:

# su - postgres
$ createdb my_database
$ createlang plpgsql my_database
$ psql -d my_database -f /usr/share/pgsql/postgis.sql
$ psql -d my_database -f /usr/share/pgsql/spatial_ref_sys.sql
$ shp2pgsql /path_to_shapefiles/my_shapefile01 my_table01 | psql -d
my_database

(last command repeated for every shapefile).

For every import, an index (I think) is created:
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
'my_table01_pkey' for table 'my_table01'

In my .map file I have:
#
DATA "the_geom from my_table01"
CONNECTION "user=postgres dbname=my_database host=localhost port=5432"
CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
#

Are the above steps correct?
How can I check if I have a spatial index on my tables, and an index on
the primary key of my tables?

Thank you,
  Daniele