WMS Debug question and SRS requirement

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Feb 10 20:29:31 EST 2005

Folks -

OK, two questions in one to save those electrons....

1. I cannot get any logfile debug output with DEBUG ON and a LOG
statement when I'm using WMS requests.  Is this supposed to work?  If
so, how?  The LOG statement is in the WEB object - is that ignored in
WMS requests?  I think this is the same question Nicholas asked
yesterday, but I haven't seen an answer.

2. Is there any way around specifying EVERY supported SRS for EVERY
layer with an "wms_srs" statement in the METADATA object?  I'm creating
a single WMS service with a few hundred layers, and it supports a fairly
complete set of US popular projections, including all UTM Zones and
State Plane coordinate systems.  The MAP file is several megabytes!
While I suppose there's a certain benefit to being forced to explicitly
confirm that each layer can support the same list of 200 or so
projections, is that REALLY necessary?  Can I specify the supported SRS
list for the entire map service and somehow have each LAYER inherit it?
Over 75% of my MAP file is made up of "epsg:26910 epsg:26911
epsg:26912...."

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker