SLD and other configuration export from ArcMap

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at FAO.ORG
Wed May 18 17:09:01 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Sorry for cross postings.

I have a fairly successful tool that allows one to export an ArcMap
project to an ArcIMS AXL configuration file ( http://
arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=12766 ) .

What I would really like to do with this tool is to allow it to
export configuration files for other map servers. All it needs is
XSLT's to transform the AXL into those files needed, it would
basically be a last additional step in the process after creating the
AXL as a DOM document.

My idea is that it would create SLD files, but eventually also create
full XML documents that contain the metadata as it was described in
ArcCatalog and all configuration details needed for a layer or set of
layers. Such a document can than be inserted into GeoNetwork where it
can be accessed by GeoServer, MapServer etc.. through WCAS 2. The map
servers can than convert the information into their respective
configuration files and start the services from there.

There is for sure some work to be done to reach that stage, but
simply generating SLD, .map files etc could be a first step.

I have the source code of the application available for those
interested in implementing this. It is located at https://
sourceforge.net/projects/arcmaptools/
Unfortunately due to time constraints I have not been able to do much
on the application for a long time, but it runs just fine in ArcMap 8
and 9.

There is one shortcoming to the tool, related to the complexity of
the label rendering in ArcMap and the difference in approach taken by
ArcIMS. Not sure if that would be a severe limitation at this stage.
Someone might want to take it up to also add that part :-)

If you are interested in contributing to this, I am looking forward
to your reply!
Greetings,
Jeroen