PHP/Perl/Python Mapscript comparison

Chris Matheson chris at CENTRALFRONTENAC.COM
Thu Nov 3 12:38:36 EST 2005

ArcGIS Desktop environments such as ArcView (9.0 or higher) natively
supports Python or VBscript scripting within the environment.  That may
be an influencing factor.
As far as the other ESRI products (arcIMS, arcServer, etc.), I'm not
sure about native Python support.

My opinion begins here, YMMV, disclaimer etc.

I think you are on the right track, figure out your needs, plan for the
future, then pick the language that fits.  These days it seems you can
do anything with any language (as long as you have module x, recomplile
from source, recode some of something etc.), the trick is finding the
one that fit's your needs without having a lot of overhead.  My personal
experience, I enjoy using php for my small experiments, because I find I
can do things quickly.  But, python might be a good fit for a more
complex application due to the object-oriented nature. I've haven't used
perl very much.

Chris M.