WMS output formats

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Nov 10 11:35:41 EST 2005

The idea is to use a metadata ows/wms_formats (or other name) at a web
level  that would contain a comma separated list of mime types that
would be advertized if valid (valid in this case means only testing if
there is an output format defined for it, so basically if it is build
with that output, It will be listed)
   If the metadata is not present, the current behaviour, which is
advertizing only gd and gdal format, will be used.

Please cc your self into bug 455 for more discussions.

Later,

Alexandre Fellay wrote:
> I don't understand some aspects of the behavior of Mapserver (version
> 4.4.2) as WMS server. My problem is as follows :
> I want to publish one single raster layer, and only in jpeg format (all
> other formats being unsuitable for various reasons). So I put in my mapfile
>
> IMAGETYPE jpeg
>
> I add an OUTPUFORMAT object :
>
> OUTPUTFORMAT
>   NAME jpeg
>   DRIVER "GD/JPEG"
>   MIMETYPE "image/jpeg"
>   IMAGEMODE RGB
>   FORMATOPTION QUALITY=88
>   EXTENSION "jpg"
> END
>
> and the required METADATA in my layer :
>   METADATA
>     "wms_title" "blabla"
>     "wms_srs"   "EPSG:21781 EPSG:4326 EPSG:32632"
>     "wms_server_version" "1.1.1"
>     "wms_format" "image/jpeg"
>     "wms_name" "blabla"
>   END
>
> The surprise is in the GetCapabilities answer: other formats are
> advertised as well
>       <Format>image/jpeg</Format>
>       <Format>image/gif</Format>
>       <Format>image/png</Format>
>       <Format>image/png; mode=24bit</Format>
>       <Format>image/wbmp</Format>
>       <Format>image/tiff</Format>
>
> And, to make things worse, some wms clients (Gaia 2 for example) seem to
> have a png default format, resulting in an ugly 8bit image.
>
> Is it possible to really limit the supported output formats list ?
>
> Alexandre F

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca