NetCDF in Mapserver...

Norman Barker nbarker at RSINC.COM
Thu Nov 17 04:19:53 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Marelli [mailto:maro.jam at TISCALI.IT]
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:03 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU; Norman Barker
Subject: Re: NetCDF in Mapserver...

Hi Norman,

Thanks very much for your help and for your hints..

I've tried to change my mapfile as you said, but nothing change...
I can't see anything yet..
(the tif image that mapserv create is all black)

Now, my mapfile is:

#### map file #####

MAP

NAME "Test"
EXTENT 22 -20 75 45
SIZE 600 600
SHAPEPATH "/raid/emis/satellite_test"
IMAGECOLOR 235 225 225

OUTPUTFORMAT
   NAME GEOTIFF_FLOAT
   DRIVER "GDAL/GTiff"
   MIMETYPE "image/tiff"
   IMAGEMODE FLOAT32
   EXTENSION "tif"
END

LAYER
   NAME "layertest"
   STATUS DEFAULT
   TYPE RASTER
   DUMP TRUE
   DATA "N20001832000213_MO.ncdf"
   PROCESSING "BANDS=3"
   PROCESSING "SCALE=AUTO"
      METADATA
            wcs_label "Test netCDF Server"
            ows_extent '22 -20 75 45'
            wcs_resolution '0.04388924 0.04387414'
            ows_srs "EPSG:4326"
            wcs_formats "GEOTIFF_FLOAT"
            wcs_nativeformat "netCDF"
            wcs_bandcount "2"
            wcs_rangeset_axes "lon"
            wcs_rangeset_label "Atmospheric Levels"
            wcs_rangeset_name "chlor_a"
       END

TEMPLATEPATTERN 'template*'

WEB
    TEMPLATE  'template.php'
    IMAGEPATH 'pippo/'
    IMAGEURL  '/pippo/'
END

END

END

#### end map file #####

Is it correct?
What should i have to put in wcs_rangeset_axes and wcs_rangeset_name?
i'm not sure about them..

Another question.
Does the outputformat image must be Geotiff (if the input data is NetCDF) or
can it be a more simple format as gif or jpeg?

Thanks,

Hi Andrea,

it looks like you are confusing MapServer WCS mapfile notation and WMS notation, for a WCS (a way of serving raw coverage data, such as that in netCDF) you don't need to put processing directives.  For a WMS you do need the processing directives to produce a picture (Map).

Is this server online?  I will try to access it for you.  If you can send me a netCDF file I can put it through our system and send you the mapfile if you want, then you will only have to change the data path location.

Norman