MySQL access and joins

Thu Sep 8 16:07:11 EDT 2005

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
>>>Will simple MySQL tables work as the join table?  I believe
>>>--with-mygis will work on a non-sppatial DB
>>
>>Yes, but this will work ONLY for template based queries (this
>>is not a mygis
>>limitiation per se, MapServer has separate code for the template (or
>>mapscript) queries, and join functionality you might wish to
>>use in a .MAP
>>file).
>>

> Thanks for the info.  What do you mean by template based queries?  My
> overall goal is to generate a map (with shp2img) whose mapfile defines a
> layer which has a join btw a shapefile and MySQL table, and CLASS items
> based on expressions in columns in the MySQL table.
>
> Thanks for any advice and / or recommendation.

Hi Tom,

If you are trying to do thematic mapping with the JOIN it will not work
unless you put your geometry and your join attributes into PostGIS. I
recently gave up hope that it might be added to mapserver and moved some
data into PostGIS and boy am I happy I did. There is a little bit of a
learning curve, but it was not nearly as bad as I thought in might be
and I am totally sold on postgres/postGIS and mapserver.

Check out
http://imaptools.com/~woodbri/thematic/thematic.cgi?name=ThemeMap&cmd=Map&debug=&location=MA&method=natural&numclasses=10&demographic=DP30085

-Steve W.