64bit/Dual Core Issues and Recommendations?

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at WEBBASED.CO.UK
Thu Sep 15 05:11:21 EDT 2005

(cut)

> Can I get some input on what others out there are using for their server
> needs?  Does anyone have a running list of Opteron issues in the GIS
> arena?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  I have a Nov. 10 drop-dead date to have
> these up and running so I'm not exactly dying, but I'd really appreciate
> the input up front.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

We are currently using dual-CPU Opteron 248 boxes with 12GB RAM as our main
production PostGIS database servers running x86_64 Fedora Core 4 without any
problems. Performance is  outstanding.

During initial testing several months ago, some 64-bit issues were found
with PostGIS. However, we were able to provide remote SSH access to
Refractions who quickly sorted out the remaining issues (thanks guys!). So
I'm happy to say that PostGIS 1.0 series plays happily with 64-bit
processors.

If you do consider running a 64-bit platform, I would recommend that you
post to the relevant lists to enquire as to the current level of 64-bit
support, and plan for at least a couple of weeks of testing your application
in case you need to report bugs to the relevant people.

I also concur with Shawn that the power consumption of the Opterons is
considerably less than the Xeon servers (standing behind the Xeons is like
standing next to a hairdryer) which is an important factor in one of our
data centres where the number of servers per rack is not limited by the
total U space, but by total power consumption.

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd
South West Technology Centre