tiff files not displaying

Matthew Perry perrygeo at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 16 00:57:58 EDT 2005

Matt,

On 9/15/05, Matt Garrish <matthew.garrish at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Is there any way to mix two types of images, (one in decimal degrees and
> one in metres?), or do I have to convert one or the other? If I do have to
> convert (bearing in mind I am complete newbie), would gdalwarp be the right
> tool? And can it be done when the tif file does not contain coordinate
> system info?

You can convert them up front using gdalwarp but you have to know the
original projection. Even if the tiff's projection is not internally
defined, you can set it using the -s_srs option. The -t_srs option is the
output projection. Having all the datasets in the same coordinate space as
your mapfile output will be the fastest option, esp for large datasets.

Alternatively you can mix and match coordiante systems by defining a) a
PROJECTION object for your MAP which determines the output projection and b)
a PROJECTION object for each LAYER with a projection other than the output
projection. If you have huge datasets, reprojecting on the fly like this
will slow you down a bit but you can keep/maintain each dataset in it's
native coordinate system.

--
Matt Perry
perrygeo at gmail.com