Special characters in mapfile

Berend Veldkamp berend.veldkamp at ARIS.NL
Tue Sep 20 03:21:09 EDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:55:56 -0400, Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]
<Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have a situation where we would like to include the micro sign special
character as part of a CLASS NAME in a mapfile.

>I initially thought that this could have be written as escaped HTML
entities, like &#181; or &micro;, but neither of those worked in the mapfile.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>..Tom

The abreviation for this is µg/g

>Now, in the mapfile, I use this code to represent each thematic class in
the polygons file :

>    CLASS
>       NAME "Hg 0.075-0.140 µg/g"
>       EXPRESSION ([Upper]=0.140056)
>       COLOR 0 255 255
>       OUTLINECOLOR 0 255 255
>    END
>
>The 'µ' symbol in the NAME parameter does not appear in the resulting
legend (it is replaced by something else). Is there a way to use special
characters like 'µ'  in the NAME parameter of a CLASS object ?

>See GetMap result attached
>
>Thank
>

>Marcel Houle
>Chargé de projets en géomatique
>Centre Saint-Laurent
>Environnement Canada
>105, rue McGill, 7e étage
>Montréal, Québec H2Y 2E7
>514.496.2672
>marcel.houle at ec.gc.ca
>
>Visitez notre site Web :
>http://www.qc.ec.gc.ca/csl/index.html

Both &#181; and &amp;micro; should work. Which font are you using? It should
contain that
particular glyph.

Berend