data proliferation or the data that ate the disk space

Richard Taylor rtaylor at COVE.COM
Sat Mar 25 07:44:25 EST 2006

Hello LIST

this is not just a MapServer question, but perhaps some of you farther down
the path have insights that you are willing to pass on.

As my learning curve progresses i find that local data volume is increasing
rapidly. It started of course with local apps, then expanded with my
introduction to MapServer, in my case ms4w, for getting the basics, then has
continued on to local directories to send up to remote unix system
instances.

While the mapfiles allow one to give a full path to your data, meaning
locally you can get at it wherever it is, that structure does not hold well
with or all with remote instances. the end result is multiple copies of many
files, some of which are quite large, one for local apps, one for ms4w, and
one for each remote mapserver.

One solution is to keep getting large storage space but feeling this might a
common problem wonder if any of the long term users or those with large data
volumes have come to a 'best practises' solution to this issue.

thanks in advance

richard taylor