gdal/mapserver build question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Oct 25 11:23:38 EDT 2006

B Tuttle wrote:
> Thanks for the responses that is the answer I was hoping for. One more
> question on this matter does anyone feel like using the internal
> support is or is not equally applicable to the other formats (png,
> jpeg, gif, pcraster) that gdal seems to have internal support for as
> well as libz (which also looks like it has internal support)?

B.

In theory similar issues apply.  In practice the internal versions
of the png, and jpeg code are normally not noticably different than
the system versions so you might as well use the system version.  Also,
png and jpeg are more likely to be linked in by other components (gd,
php mapscript, etc) so conflict avoidance by using the same system
version is more important.

PCRaster might as well be internal since it isn't usually available as
a system library.  If your system has libungif then I guess you might as
well use it for gif, otherwise use the internal.  Letting configure make
a choice on that is likely fine.

Best regards,