Question: ArcGIS Server using PostgreSQL/PostGIS

Till Adams adams at TERRESTRIS.DE
Thu Sep 21 02:43:09 EDT 2006

Bryon,

I', not going t start the discussion WHY use this A... server .... ;-)

To your question: There is an externsion to ArcGIs 8 called "PgArc"
(->sourceforge). But first it is a kind of "unsufficient hack", because
it does not make ArcGIS read PostGIS directly, it uses the
shp2pgsql/pgsql2shp extensions to generate a shape, which then is used
by ArcGIS and written back.
Second since esri changed the object model between arcgis 8 and 9 it
does not work with the 9-er stuff.

I don't know of any possibilities you might have with FME?

Cheers, Till

Kenne, Bryon K. schrieb:

> Does anybody know if it is possible to use ESRI’s ArcGIS Server and
> PostgreSQL/PostGIS together? I guess the larger question is: is it
> possible to use PSQL as the spatial data repository of ESRI products
> without the use of ESRI’s ArcSDE. Side Note: I heard at the San Diego
> ESRI Intl. User Conference that ESRI intends to support PostgreSQL
> through ArcSDE sometime after their release of 9.2.
>
> **Bryon Kenne**
>
> **//****/ISO/**// //**/- Risk Decision Services /**/
> /545 Washington Blvd. (18-12), Jersey City, NJ 07710-1686
> (* *(201) 469-2525; FAX (201) 469-4123
> + mailto:bkenne at iso.com
> Visit our web site at http://**www**.iso.com <http://www.iso.com/>

*  released: AmeiN! ArcMap-Export-2-UMN  *
*        LiveLinux 'WebGIS on CD'        *
*        http://www.terrestris.de        *

Dipl. Geogr. Till Adams
terrestris, H. Paulsen& T. Adams GbR
Siemensstr. 8 * 53121 Bonn
Tel.: 0228 962 899 52 * Fax.: 0228 962 899 57
info at terrestris.de * http://www.terrestris.de