MapServer 5.0 and enable-DEBUG

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 3 15:42:57 EST 2007

H. Porath wrote:

> afaik, in Mapserver 5 the "enable-debug" option is only for debug messages
> while compiling mapserver. You do not need to use "enabel-debug" to
> receive debug messages any more.
>
> See also: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-28

I was encountering a very similar situation and about to post to this list
when I came across this previous question.  I read the RFC at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-28 and think I
mostly understand things, but I still have a couple of questions:

1) What's the best way that I could have found out about this change on my
   own?  The documentation at
   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile/mapObj makes no
mention
   of this change, and neither do the notes at

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/tags/rel-5-0-0/mapserver/MIGRATION_GUIDE.TXT
   In retrospect, I do see this RFC referenced in the HISTORY.TXT file
   included with the mapserver distribution, but that seems a somewhat
   cumbersome way to find out which features matter with respect to user
   specification.  Is it simply a minor documentation bug, and should the
   migration docs mention MS-RFC-28 ?

2) I have had several instances in which a small little mistake in my map
file
   (like a typo in the name of another file being referenced) was much
harder to
   track down than I would have hoped, because I get no meaningful error
message
   from mapserver, even with DEBUG set to 5.  All I get is the same, single
   generic error message in /var/log/apache2/error.log:

[Mon Dec 03 11:38:14 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of
script headers: mapserv

   And the webserver returns a 500 error.  Is there any easy way to debug
   what's the problem when something like this occurs?  I suppose one way
   might be to run mapserver via gdb, if indeed it is crashing, but the
   standalone mapserv binary doesn't look like it's capable of that:

$ ./mapserv
This script can only be used to decode form results and
should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.

   and I don't see a C/C++ implementation of mapscript, so I'm not even sure
   exactly how I would go about doing that.  (How do mapserver developers
   debug it?  I'm not really sure if I were to run apache2 via gdb if that
   would do the right thing for a CGI application written in C.)

- Rich Fromm