Activate MrSid support using Gdal - Ubuntu Feisty

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Dec 12 10:39:11 EST 2007

Steven De Vriendt wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have installed gdal-bin using the synaptic manager in ubuntu feisty. Yet,
> when I try to use gdalinfo on my sid-file, I get a format unsupported
> message.
> How can activate mrsid support ?

Steven,

It is in theory possible to build the GDAL MrSID driver as a plugin and use
it with your installed GDAL.  But this is tricky, and it will only work if
there is a MrSID DSDK available that is compatible with the OS/architecture
and compiler version your GDAL is built for.  If you want to pursue that
path ... good luck.

Alternatively, you could install FWTools and just use it for the specific
translation of the mrsid's into something more generally useful.

   http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Because the MrSID DSDK is proprietary software, provided only in
pre-compiled format it is challenging to offer it in free software
distributions.

Best regards,