style - pattern - Mapserver 5

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 13 20:25:36 EST 2007

NETGIS Schroeter wrote:

> Hallo list,
> till Mapserver 4.10 the style parameter in a symbol definition has been
> used
> to store dash patterns like the example below (railway). Now in version
> 5.0
> it is recommend change STYLE to PATTERN, but regardless of which parameter
> there is no effect. Neither STYLE nor PATTERN produces a distance.
>
> SYMBOL
>     NAME 'punkt'
>             TYPE ELLIPSE
>             POINTS
>         1 1
>     END
>             FILLED TRUE
> END
>
> SYMBOL
>     NAME 'rechteck-bahn'
>     TYPE VECTOR
>     POINTS
>         0 0
>         0 0.6
>         1 0.6
>         1 0
>         0 0
>     END
>     FILLED TRUE
>     STYLE
>         8 12 8 12
>     END
> END

i don't know about combining STYLE/PATTTERN with TYPE VECTOR.  in my only
case, i defined exactly what i wanted repeated in the vector POINTS, and
that pattern is repeated, with no gaps.

in the case of a simple on/off pattern (which is i assume you're trying to
do with the TYPE ELLIPSE), i think the gist is that you no longer need to
use ellipses to draw lines.  something like the following ought to suffice:

SYMBOL
    NAME 'dashed1'
    TYPE SIMPLE
    PATTERN