SOS disconnect

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Thu Jul 5 15:36:05 EDT 2007

Charlton Purvis wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> I have been pouring over the SOS how to as well as scouring the listserv
> posts in order to take a working WFS and turn at least part of it into SOS.
> WFS returns a row nicely.
>
> http://sos-web.tamu.edu/sos-cgi/madis?service=wfs&request=getfeature&version
> =1.0.0&typename=ndbc_44029&Filter=<Filter><PropertyIsEqualTo><PropertyName>s
> ensor</PropertyName><Literal>sea_surface_temperature</Literal></PropertyIsEq
> ualTo></Filter>
>
> The SOS part of the .map is:
>
>   LAYER
>     NAME ndbc_44029_sea_surface_temperature
>     PROJECTION
>       "init=epsg:4269"
>     END
>     CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
>     CONNECTION "blah"
>     DATA "the_geom from (select * from top_obs where
> platform_handle='ndbc_44029' and sensor = 'sea_surface_temperature') as foo
> USING UNIQUE row_id USING SRID=-1"
>     TYPE POINT
>     STATUS OFF
>     METADATA
>       "sos_procedure"            "ndbc_44029"
>       "sos_procedure_item"       "m_value"
>       "sos_offering_id"          "ndbc_44029_sea_surface_temperature"
>       "sos_observedproperty_id"  "sea_surface_temperature"
>       "sos_describesensor_url"
> "http://mesonet.tamu.edu/cpurvis/sos/ndbc_44029_sea_surface_temperature.xml"
>       "sos_srs"                  "init=epsg:4269"
>     END
>   END
>
> It's not clear to me how to actually return data.  Shouldn't I be able to
> see something if I hit this URL?
> http://sos-web.tamu.edu/sos-cgi/madis?service=sos&request=GetObservation&ver
> sion=0.0.31&offering=ndbc_44029_sea_surface_temperature&format=application/c
> om-xml&observedProperty=sea_surface_temperature  Well, I do see something,
> but I don't see the actual data.  And it should be coming from a column
> called m_value.
>
> The describe sensor URL I essentially stole from a friend since his buoy is
> the same as the one I'm pulling from NDBC.
>
> Is there some controlling mechanism that says, hey, here is my data in
> MapServer land, and here is how it needs to spit out in SOS land?  This same
> data is being serviced by another SOS flavor (not MapServer), and it returns
> a field like this:
>
> <om:result>
> 2007-07-03T20:04:00Z,42.5,-70.5999984741211,0.0,289.950012207031
> </om:result>
>
> And that's what I want!  I can see it in my WFS, but I want to SOS-ercise
> it.

   You should be able to add output the attributes values (components in
SOS) by adding a metadata on the layer for each attribute you want to
display. Something like sos_nameofattribute_componenturl "some href"

eg : "sos_COLOUR_componenturl" "http://www.ec.gc.ca/envirodat#COLOUR"

  The component url would be published when doing the GetCapabilities
and the attribute value would be pulished for GetObservation

Later,

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Charlton

Assefa Yewondwossen