more exact scalebar positioning

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at DUIF.NET
Tue Jul 10 17:29:35 EDT 2007

Hi List,
I'm using a 'normal' embedded scalebar:

SCALEBAR
   LABEL
     COLOR 0 0 0
     SIZE SMALL
   END
   SIZE 233 5
   COLOR 255 255 255
   BACKGROUNDCOLOR 0 0 0
   OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
   TRANSPARENT off
   UNITS meters
   STATUS embed
   POSITION ul
END

and while I succeeded to put in in the every corner using 'position',
I'm wondering if I can put it in the lowerleft corner, but 20 pixels
higher then the 'default' (?) position. Reason for this: I have a 20
pixels high very long copyright notice on the bottom of the map, which
is hiding the scalebar partly now... and I really want it to have in he
lower left corner...

In: http://umn.mapserver.ch/index_en.php I found something like:
"(Please note that embedding scale bars require that you define a
markerset. In essence the scale bar becomes a custom marker that is
handled just like any other annotation.)". but I don't know howto define
a markerset of what it is (other than in relation with an reference map)

I find the possibilities of annotationlayers amazing by the way:
- using text, or transparent images or custom truetype font's you can
put everything everywhere fixed on your map (after reading:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-14). Is it an idea
to put something in documentation about this? Specially for printing you
often have to put copyright notices, custom north arrows or compasses
etc in you final image.

TIA,

Richard Duivenvoorde