[mapserver-users] troubleshooting WFS LINE output

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Fri Jun 6 13:10:01 EDT 2008

More information from the maintainer of the WFS service.  If what they
say is correct, ogr2ogr doesn't grok GML3?  See below if interested:

##  Begin Correspondence with NHD WFS Contact   #

For the framework data our server raises an exception if the output

format is not GML3 because the framework schemas:

http://frameworkwfs.usgs.gov/framework/schemas/gmlsf1/

are only defined for GML3.  So, if you request GML2 output, the server

raises an exception since it cannot validate GML2 input or output

because the GML2 schemas do not exist.

> I have made progress enough to load point layers, such as , however,

> when trying to load some of the polygon layers, such as, , I get the

> following error:

> OGR error. Missing outerBoundary Is property on Polygon.

You may have trouble accessing the framework data (which is only

available in GML3) with OGR because OGR can only handles GML2 (at least

that is my understanding).

The error you indicate kinda bears out my understanding ...

<gml:outerBoundaryIs> is an element defined in GML2 but deprecated in

GML3.  The corresponding GML3 element is <gml:exterior> which is what

our server generates when the requested output format is GML3.

> BTW - what is the status of this product?

The CubeWerx WFS is part of CubeSERV which is a production product.

Are you using ogr2ogr to try and convert the output to something else?

If so, let me know which output format you are trying to convert the

data to and I may be able to come up with another way to get that

format.  Or at least tweak our server to allow you to use ogr.

##   End Correspondence with NHD WFS Contact   ##

Robert W. Burgholzer

Surface Water Modeler

Office of Water Supply and Planning

rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov