[mapserver-users] Trouble compiling 5.0.2 with AGG on Centos 4

Dominik Schmid dominik.schmid at ilu.ch
Thu May 15 12:17:06 EDT 2008

We've finally decided to move forward and replace our ageing Mapserver
4.0.1 installation with the latest and greatest version.

I came as far as thinking that the AGG make was successfull, but when I
  try to configure Mapserver ("/.configure -with-agg --with-freetype") I
get the following error:

configure: error: freetype required for agg support - please configure
--with-freetype

I did include some directories with both options with the same result.
I'm not sure where AGG is exactly installed (directly in "agg-2.x" or in
a subdirectory in there) nor which freetype directory to use located
(the libfreetype.* files are in "/usr/lib" but freetype-config is in
"/usr/bin").

When I check in yum I see that freetype 2.1.9 is in fact installed. One
problem I see is with AGG, I can't get it through Centos 4 repositories
so I guess need to compile it myself. I've tried various instructions:
- http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2215 (not sure if that's still
valid info)
- Rich Fromm's instructions posted on this list on Nov 27, 2007

The instruction in ticket 2215 don't result in the promised
agg_font_freetype.o file, neither in agg-2.4 nor agg-2.5.
Rich's instructions for build AGG (". autogen.sh") exits with the
following error:
./configure: line 4513: syntax error near unexpected token 'FREETYPE,'
./configure: line 4513: 'PKG_CHECK_MODULES(FREETYPE,'

I'm kind of lost with this, so I'm turning to this list for help.
Documentation for installing Mapserver 5 with AGG support seems scarce.

Here's some more system info:

- Centos 4.4
- Apache 2.0.52
- PHP 5.1.6