[mapserver-users] Mapserver and OpenDAP

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 19 10:42:25 EDT 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Hi Mapserver users,
>
> I would like to display OpenDAP data (from a remote OpenDAP server) on a
> map using UMN Mapserver. If I understand correctly, the GDAL driver
> supports OpenDAP.
>
> I have checked the formats that my GDAL supports by running the gdalinfo
> tool. ("gdalinfo --formats".) It lists NetCDF but not OpenDAP/DODS. Just
> to make sure, does this indeed mean I do not have support for OpenDAP in
> my Mapserver installation? I'm using MS4W 2.2.6.

Arjen,

That is correct.  If you don't see the driver name in the gdalinfo output
that means you don't have the driver built in.

> What would be the best way of getting this to work? Would this mean I
> have to recompile Mapserver? Or is it possible to just recompile the
> GDAL driver?

It is, in theory, possible to just build this one driver and use it as
a plugin.  But this is not a trivial process.

> Any tips on recompiling on Windows (if necessary) or on using OpenDAP
> with Mapserver would be very welcome, since I have no experience with
> it.

I have also never build the GDAL/OGR OPeNDAP support into GDAL on windows
before, so one problem is that there is likely no makefile.vc for the
driver.  Is it possible for you to do what you want on linux?

Best regards,