[mapserver-users] High CPU

Steve White steve at online-archaeology.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 15:03:58 EDT 2008

I'm running the latest version of MS4W on a virtual private server with the
following:

-          2003 Server

-          IIS 6.0

-          Intel Xeon CPU 3.20Ghz

-          640MB RAM

I have one shapefile 850KB and a basic mapfile like below:

MAP

  NAME                                                                 Test

  STATUS                                              ON

  UNITS                                                 METERS

  SHAPEPATH                                      "C:\Inetpub\scripts\data\"

  IMAGECOLOR                                  0 255 255

  SIZE                                                      400 400

  DEBUG                                                               ON

  IMAGETYPE                                      PNG

  EXTENT                                               -4.35 56.14 -3.23
56.91

WEB

  METADATA

    "wms_title"                                    "Test MS"

    "wms_onlineresource"             "http://localhost/scripts/mapserv.exe&"

    "wms_srs"                                      "EPSG:4326 EPSG:54004
EPSG:27700"

    "wms_feature_info_mime_type" "text/html"

  END

IMAGEPATH                                       "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tmp\"

IMAGEURL                                          "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tmp\"

LOG
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tmp\mapserver.log"

TEMPLATE
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Test\templates\template.html"

EMPTY
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Test\templates\template_empty.html"

END

PROJECTION

  "init=epsg:4326"

END

SYMBOL

  NAME "circle"

  TYPE ellipse

  FILLED true

  POINTS

    1 1

  END

END

LAYER

                NAME                                                   Test

                METADATA

        "wms_title"                                                "Test"

                "gml_include_items"                     "all"

                "wms_include_items"                   "all"

                "wms_feature_info_mime_type"           "text/html"

                END

                TYPE
POINT

                DATA
Test

                STATUS
ON

                DUMP                                                   TRUE

        CLASS

                                TEMPLATE
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Test\templates\template_test.html"

                STYLE

                                                SYMBOL "circle"

                                                SIZE 10

                                                COLOR 0 0 255

                END

        END

END #end of layer

END # end of mapfile

I'm sending WMS GetMap requests to the layer from my localhost and
monitoring CPU on the server.

Every time I send a request the server CPU hits 100% until the request ends.

1)      Is 640MB RAM enough to cope with this simple request?

2)      Is there anything wrong with the mapfile?

3)      Are there any methods I can use to tune this further?

Cheers,

Steve