[mapserver-users] duplicate labels

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Thu Jul 23 14:33:10 EDT 2009

Steve Lime wrote:
> Would help if you could put together a test case for us to try. Without being familiar with your
> data it's hard to know what is right or wrong in the images. The label parameter MINDISTANCE
> is always given in pixels. In current versions it works of the centers of labels although that will
> change in the next release so that label size is taken into account.
>
> Anyway, MINDISTANCE is considered when two labels are from the same layer, same class and
> have the same exact value. Would be interesting to see your data and mapfile...
>
> Steve

Ok, after some playing I have a simple test that show's the label
background problem.

The dup label problem on a line layer (road names) is not a problem, the
LABEL_NO_CLIP=1 fixes my problem (or using OpenLayers singleTile).

The dup label problem on my annotate-pin layer is a problem.  The layer
seems to ignore LABEL_NO_CLIP=1.  If I set OpenLayers to use singleTile
then it displays correctly.  I have a mapfile with the features defined
inside (so no perl script is needed).  shp2img displays it correctly
because, I assume, it draws as one tile.

I also noticed, when drawn as one tile, all the lines (roads n stuff)
draw correctly, but in OpenLayers with mult-tiles, it get's messed up.

One Tile:

http://maps.camavision.com/map4.png

Muiti-Tile:

http://maps.camavision.com/map3.png

I have a shape file, and a mapfile if anyone wants it, I'd prefer to
send you the link privately though.

-Andy