[mapserver-users] Importing a Google/Yahoo maps raster layer

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Mon Jun 1 09:53:31 EDT 2009

Take a look at OpenLayers.  http://www.openlayers.org
Here is an example of an OpenLayers application that uses Google as the
base layer.
(When the app first loads, it is using OpenStreetMap data as the base
layer.  Click on the '+' icon on the right side of the map to expand the
layer switcher and you can then switch to a Google layer.)
You can also use Microsoft Virtual Earth data
And using MapServer, you can publish your data as a WMS and pull it in
to the same OpenLayers app.  (You can also connect to MapServer with a
native MapServer CGI call, but the developers are encouraging the use of
a standard WMS call.)