[mapserver-users] Label encoding

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:28:08 EDT 2009

2009/3/11 Murty Maganti <MMaganti at oriongis.com>

> Hi
>
> Is that list same if map server is compiled with Fribidi or is it
> different?

Hi,

I can see the followings added in fribidi (according to
fribidi-char-sets-list.h)

#ifdef _FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_OTHERS
_FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_OTHERS (UTF8, utf8)        /* UTF-8 (Unicode) */
_FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_OTHERS (CAP_RTL, cap_rtl)        /* CapRTL (Test) */
#endif /* _FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_OTHERS */
#ifdef _FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_ONE2ONE
_FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_ONE2ONE (ISO8859_6, iso8859_6)    /* ISO8859-6
(Arabic) */
_FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_ONE2ONE (ISO8859_8, iso8859_8)    /* ISO8859-8
(Hebrew) */
_FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_ONE2ONE (CP1255, cp1255)        /* CP1255 (MS
Hebrew/Yiddish) */
_FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_ONE2ONE (CP1256, cp1256)        /* CP1256 (MS Arabic)
*/
#endif /* _FRIBIDI_ADD_CHAR_SET_ONE2ONE */

As far as I can see this takes precedence over iconv when fribidi is
compiled in, unless you specify FRIBIDI_NO_CHARSETS when compiling
mapserver. In the latter case iconv is used to when doing the encoding.

> Also, have another issue. I have a map file that loads perfectly fine on
> XP and vista. The moment I add encoding attribute, it does not load in
> vista (no matter what the coding value). It just hangs in mapObj.draw()
> and need to restart IIS. Works fine on XP. Is there any clue where I can
> look to resolve the issue. Do I need to install any additional libraries
> for Iconv or Fribidi on Vista?

The iconv.dll and fribidi.dll should be available to load by the application
by default.
Does this issue exists only when fribidi is compiled in? I can see a couple
of non-const static variables used by the fribidi library and I wonder if we
should protect the access to these functions with locks inside the mapserver
code in a multi-threaded  environment.

Best regards,

Tamas