[mapserver-users] MapServer 5.2.1 performance

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Wed Sep 2 10:10:54 EDT 2009

Gorka López Rivacoba wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I get the timings using mapfile debug (level 3). Besides, I use JMeter to ask for random tiles and get the elapsed time. With these times, I have done some changes:
>
> * I clean the coordinate system definitions that I don't use (this change is very important for the elapsed time)

Could you elaborate on this?  What does this mean?

> * I see that most of the layers spent around 0,015 seconds for each. Some layers spent around 0.25 seconds and I could see that these layers have few geometries very complex (I try to break these geometries in others simpler)

As I see it, you have two options:

1) Make an individual request faster (hard to do)
2) Reduce the number of requests (easier, and different options)

Do you really need all 120 layers?  For one tile you have to make 120
requests.  If it takes 4 tiles to fill out your map, thats 4 * 120 = 480
  requests.  If you could combine a few layers you would reduce the
number of requests, and improve performance.

Have you tried using multiple urls in OpenLayers?

see:
http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/multiserver.html

Have you used firebug to watch it load?  It has a nice pretty graph that
shows which requests are concurrent, the time for each, etc, etc.

If you can switch any of your layers to load as a single tile that would
also cut down the number of requests (from 4 to 1 in the example above).

-Andy