[mapserver-users] WMS 1.3.0 questions

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Wed Nov 10 10:18:49 EST 2010

Le 2010-11-09 21:48, Jeff McKenna a écrit :
> Hello Yves,
Hi Jeff,

> Some related thoughts:
>
> - related ticket for configuring default WMS version:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/3444 ...please add yourself to
> the CC list of that ticket and join in the discussions and testing and
> feedback, thanks
I added myself in the cc list.  The description of that ticket says "For
example in WMS if the version parameter is not set, MapServer
<http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/MapServer> usually defaults to the
latest supported version (1.3.0)."  If I read this correctly, if I
change MapServer from 5.2.x to 5.6 and I happen to be working with EPSG
codes that have their axes flipped between 1.1.1 and 1.3.0, my WMS
requests won't work anymore IF i didn't specify a version number.  Ouch.

Also, what happens if I specify a non existent, but valid, number like
1.2222 ?  I know an image is an image as Jukka mentioned, but how do I
know how MapServer interpreted my faulty version number ?  Does it
default to the latest supported version too ?

> - doc pointers:
> http://www.mapserver.org/ogc/wms_server.html#wms-1-3-0-support
> ...specifically see the 2 working 1.3.0 example requests there

I've seen those.  I can see the request parameters all right, it's just
that I'm not sure how MapServer reacts.  I know it chokes if I send
VERSION=abc, but it will send me an image whatever I use for a version
number as long as it is of the forms x.y or x.y.z.
VERSION=1234.4567.890 will work !  Because I get only an image back, how
do I know how MS handled the request ?  Is there a response header I'm
missing somewhere ?

Thanx.

Yves