[mapserver-users] font support problem

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jun 1 11:52:16 EDT 2011

Freetype is found.  Iconv is found.  GD is found.  gdImageStringFT test fails because it doesn't try with iconv.

I do see a test for if GD needs iconv in configure, but for some reason it's not getting to this test for me...  I'll look into it more later this evening when I have time.

On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> When you get a chance please write a bug against this issue. It seems that there are a few things that need to be fixed:
>
> 1. error message is wrong and misleading
> 2. configure is not finding the libraries
> 3. configure is not detecting a missing library (iconv) and disabling freetype if the missing lib is required.
> 4. freetype without iconv should be ok unless this is a new requirement
> 5. doc needs to be updated as required
>
> Also I would think the a missing -liconv should cause a fatal link error in make.
>
> Thanks,
>  -Steve
>
> On 6/1/2011 10:11 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> Freetype is not the problem.  I already figured it out - my gd font
>> support needs -liconv and configure is not adding it to the gd test.
>> It looks like the mapserver configure doesn't get the libs from the
>> gdlib-config script but makes a common guess.
>>
>> I thought I had this working in the past, but it's possible I only
>> recently added iconv support to my gd. I forget.
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>>
>>> ./configure can not find your truetype font includes and/or libs.
>>> You need to make sure you have the truetype package installed on
>>> Linux this is called something like freetype2. On my debian
>>> system:
>>>
>>> ls /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/ config        ftcid.h
>>> ftimage.h   ftmodapi.h  ftsnames.h  ftxf86.h freetype.h
>>> fterrdef.h  ftincrem.h  ftmoderr.h  ftstroke.h  t1tables.h ftbbox.h
>>> fterrors.h  ftlcdfil.h  ftotval.h   ftsynth.h   ttnameid.h ftbdf.h
>>> ftgasp.h    ftlist.h    ftoutln.h   ftsystem.h  tttables.h
>>> ftbitmap.h    ftglyph.h   ftlzw.h     ftpfr.h     fttrigon.h
>>> tttags.h ftcache.h     ftgxval.h   ftmac.h     ftrender.h
>>> fttypes.h   ttunpat.h ftchapters.h  ftgzip.h    ftmm.h