[mapserver-users] Fwd: Tile of tiles with tif images

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jun 9 12:52:44 EDT 2011

Ok, I think there is a misunderstanding on how the commands work:

[set of shapefiles] -> tile4ms -> one shapefile with pointers to the set

[set of images] -> gdaltindex -> one shapefile with pointers to the set

What you are trying to do is:

multiple [sets of images] -> to multiple shapefiles
then concatentate your multiple shapefiles into a single index.

Mapserver does not support indexes of indexes of files. tile4ms does not
concatenate the files into a single file it creates a tileindex.

You can take your multiple tif tileindexes and create a tile index for
that and it can be used to display the bbox for each of the images by
specifying the LAYER TYPE POLYGON in the mapfile. BUT you can not use it
to display the TIF images.

If you want to create one large tileindex of all your TIF files the just
process them all through gdaltindex into a new tile index that contains
all the original images.

-Steve