[mapserver-users] TYPE UNION and STYLEITEM

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Tue May 3 12:46:28 EDT 2011

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could let me know if my logic here is flawed...

I am testing layers of TYPE UNION.  I have two point data files and if I
have classes in the UNION'ed layer, they draw correctly.  E.g.:

# ==================================================
# Layer: Layer 1 for union
# ==================================================
LAYER
   NAME "layer_1_for_union"
   STATUS OFF
   TYPE POINT
   SIZEUNITS PIXELS
   DATA "points1"
END

# ==================================================
# Layer: Layer 2 for union
# ==================================================
LAYER
   NAME "layer_2_for_union"
   STATUS OFF
   TYPE POINT
   SIZEUNITS PIXELS
   DATA "points2"
END

# ==================================================
# Layer: UNION Layer
# ==================================================
LAYER
   NAME "union_layer"
   STATUS DEFAULT
   TYPE POINT
   SIZEUNITS PIXELS
   CONNECTIONTYPE UNION
   CONNECTION "layer_1_for_union,layer_2_for_union"
   PROCESSING "ITEMS=TYPE,ELEV"
   CLASS
     NAME "At 4ft or lower"
     EXPRESSION ([ELEV] <= 4)
     STYLE
       SYMBOL 'circle'
       COLOR 0 255 0
       SIZE 15
     END
   END
   CLASS
     NAME "Above 4ft"
     EXPRESSION ([ELEV] <= 100)
     STYLE
       SYMBOL 'circle'
       COLOR 0 255 255
       SIZE 15
     END
   END
   CLASS
     NAME "Other"
     STYLE
       SYMBOL 'circle'
       COLOR 180 180 180
       SIZE 15
     END
   END
END

However, if I have styling in the source layers (i.e. layer_1_for_union
and layer_2_for_union) and use STYLEITEM "AUTO" in the union layer, the
two source layers must have STATUS DEFAULT for anything to show up
(which, I think, causes them to be drawn twice?).

Am I missing something with how UNIONs and STYLEITEM "AUTO" work?  Or is
this how it was designed?

Thanks,
Christy

--