[mapserver-users] Re: mapserver6 (was 5) postgis connection problem

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Mon May 30 12:28:00 EDT 2011

Nikos,

On 31/05/2011, at 12:00 AM, mapserver-users-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> I don't know if it is relevant, but I get a no route to host when I test that ip via pgadmin, meaning tcp connections will fail, whereas local connections should not as they are IPC based. Does postgis use tcp/ip by default for connecting?

It will depend on the host based authentication of your postgres instance - if you do not have an entry for your client machine in the pg_hba.conf file, you won't be able to connect from pgadmin, or psql.

But you are more likely to have a trust setting for connections from localhost, so mapserver won't have the same problems.

it isn't set to trust anyone, (which it absolutely shouldn't be), vis :

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
	Is the server running on host "46.21.168.170" and accepting
	TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

cheers

Ben