[mapserver-users] MapServer WMS requests with SLD shows extra layers

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:22:09 EDT 2011

Hi All

Wondering if anyone knows if this is correct or not.  I'm using MapServer
5.6.6 on Windows.

I have a WMS where I specify an SLD for a layer - say called A (the SLD has
a NamedLayer entry for that layer A) - and in the URL I specify the SLD path
and also the layers that I want - let's say A, B - everything is great.

The issue (or feature!) that arises is that if I leave the SLD in the URL
and DON'T specify layer A (but do specify say B) I still get A coming
through on the Map - is it because it has a NamedLayer entry in the SLD
file.

This causes an issue for us as we're starting to use SLD's more and more and
are trying to avoid rewrite the SLD on the server if we turn a layer on or
off - I'd have thought the LAYERS parameter would handle this as it does for
every other type of request to MapServer.

Hopefully this makes sense - anyone have any clues?

Thanks
Mike