[mapserver-users] Reprojection error for CONNECTIONTYPE WMS

Simon.Schneegans at dlr.de Simon.Schneegans at dlr.de
Fri Jun 2 02:11:56 PDT 2017

Hi there!

I tested some more and it seems that this is not only a problem for WMS layers, but for Raster layers as well. Here is an example GeoTiff:
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/files/1047153/test.zip

I can warp this to HEALPix using GDAL on the command line:
gdalwarp -t_srs '+proj=healpix +a=1 +b=1 +wktext' -te -0.5 0.6 0.5 1  test.tiff healpix.tiff

The result looks as supposed (see example in the original issue: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5437).
However, if I let mapserver do the reprojection, the result is distorted (e.g. Libya is missing on the map). This is my layer (except for some metadata):

LAYER
    name "test"
    status ON
    type RASTER
    data "test.tiff"

    PROJECTION
        AUTO
    END
END

This is in my epsg file:

<900916> +proj=healpix +a=1 +b=1 <>

This is the relevant part of the WMS request:

...&LAYERS=test&WIDTH=600&HEIGHT=300&SRS=EPSG:900916&BBOX=-0.5,0.6,0.5,1

The example test.tiff I linked above covers exactly the area I am requesting to be reprojected to HEALPix. As soon as this input tiff is larger, the reprojection works as supposed. I guess that this is the reason why I observed the issue with CONNECTIONTYPE WMS first: Here the input data is usually exactly as large as required by the reprojection!

Where do I have to go bug hunting? Is it a configuration issue? Is it a reprojection issue specific to HEALPix?

Thank you for your support!
Simon