[Marketing] FOSDEM 2014 material: request for refund

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Tue Jul 28 06:28:30 PDT 2015

Hi Anne,

I assume that the business cards and fliers can't be re-used, or is it just
that you paid for them out of your own money and would like to recoup this?
I'm inclined to agree with Cameron that this sort of expenditure should be
agreed in advance because otherwise OSGeo could end up with all sorts of
requests for refunds and run out of money. However, 280 Euros is a lot of
money to be out of pocket.

Marketing people- could we collectively agree to refund this but as a
one-off, and in future all payments must be agreed in advance in order to
get a refund?

Jo

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> As mentioned off list,
>
> While what you are asking for is in line with OSGeo goals, I feel it
> irresponsible for the OSGeo Marketing Committee to approve funding, unless
> you had received approval before purchasing?
>
> My reasons are:
> * OSGeo, and by extension the marketing committee are responsible for
> managing a budget against a set of guidelines.
>
> * Before money is spent, approval should be sought. Approval should be
> granted based on: 1. Are costs in mandate. 2. Are their available funds.
>
> * Our original Marketing spending guidelines [1] have been on reimbursing
> "Non-Consumable" items. This request is for "Consumable items". Ie, this
> request is out of mandate. There has since been suggestions to move to also
> cover Consumables, but no one has followed through to update the wiki or
> get it approved.
>
> * Providing retrospective approval would set a precedent which I think
> would potentially put OSGeo at financial risk if others were to follow this
> example.
>
> As such, I'm voting -0 for covering these expenses, but I am ok with being
> out-voted on this one.
>
> I note that the marketing committee is almost completely inactive. If you
> don't get at least 3 votes, I suggest asking the board to weigh in (as Jeff
> as suggested).
>
> Sorry for the negative response.
>
> One thing that would really help is to have someone volunteer to
> revitalise the Marketing committee processes, possibly rewriting from a
> fresh start.
>

>  Warm regards, Cameron
>
> 1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Marketing_Committee#Sponsorship_Areas
>
> On 25/07/2015 6:51 pm, Anne Ghisla wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> for last year's FOSDEM in Brussels I ordered OSGeo flyers
> and business cards from a local print shop. All details are
> listed in the wiki page:http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSDEM2014
>
> I would like to ask for refund for these items (it sums up to 280
> euros). I can provide off-list the receipt in German, with translation.
>
> I am available for any clarification.
>
> Thanks and kind regards,
>
> Anne

> Cameron Shorter,
> Software and Data Solutions Manager
> LISAsoft
> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
> 26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009
>
> P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform
<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.