[Journal] RE: ISBNs for FOSS4G2008 Proceedings

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Fri Aug 29 16:30:10 EDT 2008

For one thing, I think the peer-review system would have to be the default,
not the option... Secondly, we'd need to get the journal into one of the
citation indexing systems so that it gets a "citation index" - a critical
measure of any Journal's success.  Basically that number tells something
like the number of citations to articles in the journal divided by the
number of articles published.  This is a measure of the journal's "Impact".
The idea is to go for a higher impact factor by seeing people cite stuff
published in the journal... - Dan

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:37 PM, OSGeo Tyler Mitchell
<tmitchell at osgeo.org>wrote:

> Got a couple offline responses, I should probably clarify.  We have the
> ISSN number already - a number for serial publications.  Ideally we would
> get the OSGeo Journal somehow aligned with the academic circles enough that
> when we do peer review, it is good enough for them to accept it.  Any tips
> from that angle?
>
> Tyler
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)
>> <tmitchell at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Just a snippit from some other communication I had recently - discussing
>>> how
>>> they plan to do the proceedings for this years FOSS4G academic track.  Is
>>> anyone familiar with how we might be able to get OSGeo Journal accredited
>>> using one the sources mentioned?
>>>
>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, for the proceedings of an academic conference to be

> Tyler Mitchell
> Executive Director
> Open Source Geospatial Foundation
> tmitchell at osgeo.org
> P: +1-250-277-1621
> M: +1-250-303-1831

Daniel P. Ames PhD, PE
Department of Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls
amesdani at isu.edu
www.MapWindow.org
www.Hydromap.com
Quote of the day: "The pick is brilliant. Palin is smart, successful,
youthful and irreverent; the complete opposite of Obama's choice for VP, Joe
Biden, a Washington insider." - Andrea Tantaros