[Journal] Volume 8 Rebellion

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 28 13:27:16 EST 2010

Hi Landon,

My two bits, others can pipe up too, but I warn you that I'm probably more open to non-latex options than others here...

Short answer: scribus won't help, don't waste your time.  What you did looks good but we can't switch to such a WYSIWYG "workflow".

Long answer:

It's an annual question brought up on this list and those interested can
 search the archives for previous debate.  I guess we need a wiki page
to keep these arguments on so it's clear.  But Landon, you were even
part of this question last year, so you already know the positions.

I have gone from knowing nothing about latex to being able to do the
entire workflow now (though bibliographies are haunting me a bit) - if I
 can learn it, than you can too and with your programming experience you
 can be even better than me, I'm sure!

Scribus is (admittedly) not well suited for doing documents like our Journal length of 60+ pages.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Category:FAQ#Books notes a few of the challenges which are deal-breakers for us, plus here are some of my concerns just to remind us of what we're dealing with:

1. Were you seriously proposing to manually place, edit and maintain 60+
 pages of text  (without footnotes or multi-level table of contents too)
 ?

2. Why lock up all the data in a binary format?  It makes it hard for
distributed editing and version control, among other things.  It would
be fine if it were a one man show that never needed any scripting.  But
here we have different people managing different sections - it makes no
sense.

3. Seems you have some ideas for improving our layout/style - that's worth a discussion on its own, let's hear it!

4. Having trouble converting to latex?  You know you can learn it, but
perhaps learning it on a full blown volume of the journal is biting off a
 bit more than you can chew.  It's really not that hard one article at a time, and me and others are willing and able to pull together the master document.

Last night I was able to compile all the proceedings articles in about
1.5 hours, including importing some openoffice docs and hacking author
contributed tex files.   I did all the compiling from the command line
on a remote server and that was over a 50 page PDF (and I was
experiencing a post-Christmas chocolate sugar crash!  Command "w2l
-ultraclean input.odt" helped me a lot.)

Did I hit bugs and problems?  Yes, but coming to others for help, I
think, makes our journal team efforts stronger.  Whereas moving to a
different platform, scribus in particular, makes us weaker.  We've built our own little
knowledge base among our team and I'm grateful for that.  Sure, it slows
 us down to have to hunt down help - but what FOSS advocate doesn't like
 having to work with others? ;-)

Though it may feel like it sometimes, our use of latex isn't some
esoteric exercise.  It's an industry standard and meets our needs very
well and I was one of the first to review various tool options and was convinced
by others on the list to stick with (and learn) the latex way.  I
haven't seen any benefit to move (except when I hit a particularly
challenging bug and am short on time), so I don't support the idea to switch at all.

Others are always welcome to continue the debate, but for me personally
it is a non-starter and a waste of time.  I don't support switching,
especially in the middle of a critical issue that needs to get out
soon.  More on the status of vol 8 in another note.

Tyler