[Northamerica] Intro

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Fri Nov 4 20:13:04 EDT 2011

Hi All-

   I'd like to introduce myself and say something about my interest
in a North American Chapter of OSGeo

   My introduction to most things formally geospatial came by fate or
by fluke, with a hand-me-down assignment as steering committee member
for a conference that was slated for June of 2007 - the 5th
International Symposium on Digital Earth.  Dr. Tim Foresman had
committed to chairing the next ISDE, and had a deep rolodex -
unfortunately without the funding to match !  The insiders saw it
coming miles away (kilometers?)

   So basically it was a huge, 5 day, 120 presentation conference,
done United Nations Environment Programme style - on a wing and a
prayer. The nations of China, New Zealand, Australia, the EU were all
officially represented.. as were NASA, NOAA, the National Snow and
Ice Center.. UC Berkeley ... UC Santa Barbara sent Michael
Goodchild.. the State of California sent the Lt Governor.. Florida
was represented.. The commercial interests.. ESRI, Google, Microsoft,
Yahoo and a host of startups.. etc etc.. I built the exhibition floor
network working with the surprisingly strict UCB network people..  I
did meet and greet with presenters..  I also handled presentation
graphics jobs and fought endless fires as they came up.. as the
'local' - since most everyone else was out of town, out of state or
out of country.. I had a chance to meet Roger Tomlinson.. (he didnt
say much :-)  Ben Discoe and Rebecca Moore.  I met many of the
innovators of this nascent 'digital earth' tech.. and at that time,
Keyhole, acquired by Google as Google Earth, had gotten 300m
downloads.. as you well know, this is what the past looked like..

            http://vterrain.org/Packages/GovEdu/

So what was the theme of this ISDE5 ?  It was to *bring together* the
disparate forces, including military, so use these new tools and new
capacities, and spark * new intelligence *  which we almost all
agreed, we desperately need right now..  (The National Snow and Ice
people were freaking out about the arctic ice melts and larger
climactic indicators - the State of California was very aware of the
changes in salinity in the San Juaquine Delta system and its
implications for agriculture in the central valley.. Florida is in
line to be the next Netherlands.. the island nations political
protests were starting in earnest, etc)

   What concerns me personally ?  Environmental issues.. over-used
and insufficiently understood words, like.. bio-diversity or its
opposite, mass extinctions . My ex-wife is a professional conference
facilitator, so I have spoken at or played organizational roles in
many, many "camps" and "un-conferences" in the SF Bay Area...

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

   As far as OSGeo - along Alex Mandel and a few others, we have
carved out a 'California Chapter' of OSGeo, in the shadow of the Dot
Com Ground Zero and Silicon Valley.. Also with Alex Mandel and a few
others, I built the OSGeo LiveDVD for the last two years, as a way to
learn first hand what the OSGeo offerings are about.. I am a
programmer for more than 20 years.. I have an office at the David
Brower Environmental Center in Berkeley California, across the street
from the University. I am quite keen on seeing OSGeo grow in North
America.

   I am quite sure that it is ** essential ** that the military folks
are at the table, and that ** non-military ** folks are at the table,
to take this where it needs to go.

   best regards

   Brian Hamlin
   GeoCal