[OSGeo Oceania] Board - sharing budget doc

Daniel Silk dwsilk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 02:16:22 PDT 2019

Hi Bruce

Surely not a certainty that a PCO reduces the event risk - engaging a
company would create a lot of new risks:
 - will they meet the standard we've set?
 - will they know how to engage with the community to ensure that it still
feels like a community run event and not a copy+paste corporate conference?
 - will we have to raise prices and cut back on things like our Good Mojo
program in order to mitigate the extra expense?
 - we would absolutely need to meet sponsorship and registration targets,
rather than enjoying some elasticity because of our lean expenses

There has certainly been a lot of volunteer effort going into these events
but that's an absolutely fantastic aspect to them. It's a time consuming
experience but a rewarding one. I hope that all of the organisations that
have been so willing to support this effort will also (continue) to provide
in-kind employee time so that it's less dependent on volunteer time.

Regardless, I don't understand why we would struggle to obtain a
competitive quote from a PCO if we released this information.

Cheers
Daniel
Conference Chair - FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019