[OSGeo Oceania] MailChimp Mailing List Merging

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 19:24:44 PDT 2019

I vote for option 2.

Why?

- option 1 feels a lot like potential spam - we didn’t ask for consent to
put attendees on an ongoing comms e-mail list. The opt-out makes it legally
OK (as far as I can tell, see link below), but not really up to scratch on
my personal ethics-o-meter.
- preferring smaller lists of people who actively opt in to larger lists of
potential zombie addresses.

Our obligations are here, FYI:
https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/spam-industry-obligations

Cheers

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 13:15, Alex Leith <alexgleith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> We have two large lists of people on in MailChimp.
>
> The first is the general list, where people have signed up and this has
> 200 subscribers and the second is the conference attendees list, which has
> 300 subscribers.
>
> We have two options to merge these lists:
>
>    1. Merge the two lists, then send an email to the new list offering
>    people the opportunity to opt out
>    2. Don't merge the lists, but send an email to the conference
>    attendees list offering the opportunity to opt in to the main list.
>
> My view is that we should merge the lists, and allow people to opt out, as
> this will leave us with a larger contact list, most likely. So my vote is
> for option 1.
>
> Look forward to your thoughts.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --