[OSGeo Oceania] Transparency (was: Update)

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:00:51 PST 2021

Hi Everyone

I'm not going to address John's concerns directly.

The reality is that this is a community of volunteers and there are some
things we must do, which we do, and others that we'd like to do, which
sometimes slip. But on transparency, we have been communicating on lists,
posting minutes of Board meetings and we've opened up a section of Board
meetings to anyone who would like to attend.

When we are communicating on this list and others, I ask that we all
understand that there are people at the other end. For those of us on the
Board who give freely of our time, we do it because we care about this
community. I’ll continue to do the bookkeeping work I do in the background,
and I’d be grateful to anyone who would like to have a look at the books
with me. We’ve been open to people stepping up and helping all along. That
is how we got started with the event in Melbourne, with so many people
joining our little do-ocracy to make an exciting time! Not all times are
exciting though, and there’s still things to do in those interstices.

I really like our community, I've met some wonderful people at the
conferences and enjoy working with everyone on the Board. The thing I'm
most proud of is the work we've done over the last couple of years on
travel grants and on including the Pacific Island Countries and
Territories. This year, through microgrants and through the highly attended
hubs across Oceania, we’ve been able to really give back to our community,
and I reckon that’s great.

Personally, I'm excited for an in person conference next year and hope that
people are thinking about sticking their hand up to help out like before,
because, like I said, there’s always more to do.

Kind regards,

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050