[OSGeo Oceania] Transparency (was: Update)

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:23:15 PST 2021

Hi all,

It has been almost a month since this discussion was initiated, but it
commenced around the height of conference preparations and some time was
needed for reflection. The board met last week where we discussed this
topic at length and happily I can say we were 100% aligned.

On openness

The board fully agrees openness is critical to the health of an
organisation and a community like ours. There was no disagreement
whatsoever on this key point. The challenges come down to implementation.

Communication channels

Mailing lists are wonderful tools for broadcast messages and as an open and
permanent archive. They are not so good for engagement.

For example, I emailed this mailing list on August 5th
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/oceania/2021-August/002700.html> to
drive engagement for the conference and get more people involved. No one
responded. That’s fine. Myself and other board members have also sent many
messages to our FOSS4G SotM Oceania mailing list
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g-oceania/>. The level of
engagement varies, but I can speak from experience in saying that the
mailing lists were only partially helpful in engaging conference organisers
and participants.

To be an effective organisation, we need to communicate wherever people
prefer to communicate. Whatever one’s ideological feelings towards mailing
lists, the evidence shows that mailing lists alone are not enough to drive
engagement and openness. And the reality is that in some places, commercial
tools such as Twitter or LinkedIn are the preferred mode of communication,
so to be inclusive, we need to be thinking about all channels.

Board communication

As mentioned above, the board would like to communicate openly as much as
possible. There are occasional exceptions, but open by default is our
policy. I’d like to reference some steps in that direction.

   1.

   Earlier this year we announced open board meetings. While we could have
   done a better job promoting them, we would like to encourage everyone to
   check out our OSGeo Oceania calendar
   <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dgea06cf2tu9ukl2f7nmfqjp98%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>and
   join for future board meetings.
   2.

   Our Comms Working Group has put together this survey
   <https://us17.list-manage.com/survey?u=26f3c80da46835144592b59b6&id=0d8b091d99>
   which seeks to further understand how people prefer to receive and engage
   with OO communications. Please have your say
   3.

   Board meeting minutes continue to be published on the wiki
   <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Oceania#2021>. I'll try to do better by
   making updates here more regularly.
   4.

   We finally put together a website <http://osgeooceania.com/> to give us
   a permanent place to share content. We’ve invited contributors and anyone
   from the community is welcome.
   5.

   We hired a member of our Pacific community to help us engage the wider
   community more.
   6.

   Maptime Oceania’s Slack
   <https://join.slack.com/t/maptimeoceania/shared_invite/enQtNDU3MTU3ODkyMjU2LThiMWU4MjZjNjM0ZWRiMWZlNWE2OTZjYjM0ZTMzZDEwMzc5MTAzN2Q2MzMyZDMzYTMwNjc5NGIxYjY4MDRiMjM>
   is used by OO for a lot of shorter, often more casual communication. Slack
   recognises OO as an NFP and has granted us free NFP access which gives us
   the ability to preserve all messages in the Workspace.
   7.

   Please join our AGM
   <https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Dx-amRm1QlWoBBT-fIQOmw> on December
   17th. There is a Q&A section and plenty of opportunities to discuss OO’s
   efforts in 2021 and beyond.

Is there more we can do on openness? Absolutely!

I am incredibly grateful to a number of people throughout the year who have
drawn attention to Wiki pages that needed updating or information that was
lacking. Many of these individuals took it upon themselves to update
content and that’s exactly the kind of help we need.

If other ideas come to mind, join a board meeting, send a message on the
mailing list, or just contact us however you feel comfortable.

Looking forward

I am super excited by the opportunities the new board opens up and the
enthusiasm we are seeing from new members of the community. Despite a very
challenging two years, over 200 people attended our conference earlier this
month and notably 3 local hubs were formed in the Pacific.

I’m very positive about the future of OSGeo Oceania, but it all comes down
to the community. We welcome all and encourage any ideas and support to
ensure more free flowing communications.

Kind regards,

Ed