[OSGeo Oceania] [Oceania-Board] Geospatial Council of Australia - thoughts?

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 21:15:19 PDT 2023

Adam wrote:

> Awards - personally not my thing and (IMO) about the last thing a
> community org should focus on. I've just returned from a couple of
> years in Norway dealing with a community that is strongly cult of
> personality (rockstar/award/??) based, and it sucks. Where was the
> community discussion about awards in OSGeo Oceania?

I feel similarly. I think it's nice to recognise people's successes and
wins, but industry body awards feel like an echo chamber to me, reinforcing
in-group relationships. I've always admired OSGeo for its focus on reaching
the broader community, creating an inviting and open space where anyone can
participate regardless of affiliations.

The APSEA awards seem like particularly odd bedfellows for OSGeo Oceania...
despite the "Asia-Pacific" name, they're predominantly (entirely?)
Australian. Not making a criticism but it doesn't seem in step with OSGeo
Oceania's community.

Ohyeah, an MoU *has to be* public and reviewable by the community.
> OSGeo's MoU with OGC is a good example of this practice.

+1