[GeoForAll-UrbanScience] Spatial analysis of social media

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Sep 30 07:12:08 PDT 2015

Thanks Dimitris and Sven for your responses.

Jeff:

I haven't kept up with the "Is OSGeo relevant" email thread, but the
hosting of the OSGeo wiki and other web-functions has always been a big
benefit. Without OSGeo's web infrastructure global collective action would
not be happening.

Is it possible to have OSGeo host something that provides other
collaboration online functions? I'm not sure what this looks like. The
group I am also working with, PublicLab.org, has this very interesting open
access "research notes" structure and they are now working on better ways
of searching those posts. But I can envision this for various GeoForAll
thematic groups or subgroups, like the social media geocrowdsourcing group.

One proprietary option is BaseCamp. But that is a 'login' type system
rather than an open access system.

Is there a role for OSGeo here in supporting some kind of collaboration
system that goes beyond wikis and email?

Cheers,
Charlie