[OpenDroneMap-dev] (no subject)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 4 22:25:14 PST 2015

On 03/04/2015 09:03 PM, Cole wrote:
> All,
>
> I was very impressed with Steve's presentation at NCGIS.  I have been
> looking for an open source project that is new, and interests me.  This
> looks like the perfect match.
>
> I have not done much web development and would like to get some
> experience.  A python micro web framework such as Flask might seem like a
> good way to go when doing the port.  Let me know your thoughts and II'll
> get a something started over the next few weeks.

Did I miss a discussion about building a website? Or was this in
reference to the idea replace the main scripts with something more
people are comfortable editing?

> With python, it should be fairly trivial to directly call the C libraries
> for easier cross-platform support.

+1

> I also noticed that people are having issues with camera calibration.  I
> have gone through this with some of my computer vision problems.  OpenCV
> includes a library that will give a transform based upon a picture of a
> checkerboard.  My first order of business will be to through together a
> python script to correct images.  I do not know how this will affect the
> rest of the toolchain.

I already have such a script (
https://github.com/wildintellect/lenscorrection ), though it's specific
to the GoPro, technically any camera/lens in lensfun should be
compatible. The issue I have is after you correct images, what is the
new effective camera parameters that opendronemap needs. I was planning
to measure this from some rulers taped to the wall, but I like your idea
of using a checkerboard.

I suppose you are talking about calibration in general, the lensfun
project has that covered pretty well but your are right a script to come
up with the camera parameters from a checkerboard would be a good tool.

> Let me know if anyone is working on these issues already, and if this is
> the direction that the rest of you want to go, and any hang-ups you may
> foresee.
>
> -cole

Thanks,
Alex