[OpenDroneMap-dev] OpenMPI

Stephen Mather stephen at smathermather.com
Fri May 8 18:34:20 PDT 2015

Shared, or the messy part of passing data around...

Looking at the portions of the toolchain:

resize -- easily can be massively parallelized (also not a bottleneck)
keypoints -- same, but is a slow process now
match -- harder to parallelize without *a priori* knowledge of likely
matches
bundler -- currently not fully parallelized and a major bottleneck
cmvs/pmvs -- CMVS chops the scene into bite-sized chunks, making PMVS work
within smaller, reassembleable scene chunks. Ideal for distribution
meshing -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain
texturing -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain
georeferencing -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain
orthophoto -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain

match is probably the hardest part to efficiently parallize without shared
storage, but with some a priori knowledge of likely matching images (e.g.
exif geolocation), something clever might be done to overcome this
limitation.

Cheers,
Best,
Steve