[OpenLayers-Dev] Re: move deprecated code

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Nov 8 20:20:20 EST 2011

I should add that I think we should have an explicit deprecation
strategy that encourages people to stop using deprecated code.  I'd
propose that we mark code as deprecated and keep it in the main lib
for one release - including a list of newly deprecated
methods/properties in the release notes.  We could leave deprecated
methods in the main lib for one release and then move them to
deprecated.js.  In the subsequent minor release, we wouldn't have
changed the api, but people would have to include deprecated.js to get
the old stuff.

I look forward to having a discussion about 3.0 that goes beyond
removing MouseDefaults.js.

Tim

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org> wrote:
> I think we've implicitly assumed that deprecated code cannot be
> removed until we have a new major release.  Following this, I think it
> makes sense to move the deprecated code out of the main lib - but keep
> it around for people that might want/need it.
>
> So this would mean having a deprecated.js (or more) that people could
> include in their builds.  We would exclude it from the full build, and
> anybody that has a build profile with a limited set of includes would
> automatically avoid it.  Moving the code and the tests together makes
> sense to me.
>
> https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/43
>
> If others agree with this strategy, I think we should rip through all
> the stuff that is explicitly marked deprecated.  After that, we can
> start bringing up stuff that should be marked deprecated.
>
> All of this, in my opinion, is different than a discussion about a 3.0 release.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Schaub
> OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/